Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Dear Parents, Thank You for Making Me This Way

In response to the post "Dear Daughter, Let Miley Cyrus be a Lesson to You" which can be found here. I really enjoyed reading it!

Dear Parents,

Yes, I often thought that you were over protective. I often thought that you didn't give me enough attention. I never understood why you said no. I didn't understand why wearing bikinis wasn't okay, or why the fingertip rule was so inforced.

I used to think I wasn't good enough. I used to think I wasn't popular enough. I could never look as good as those girls in the pictures. I never had the boys following me around.

For awhile I blamed you. For awhile I hated you. Why couldn't you let me be like the other girls?

But now I know, this is how I could have (probably) ended up. With no respect for myself. I am NOT desperate. I hold myself to a higher standard than a lot of the girls around my age. I will continue doing so until I find that guy who will love ME. Not my sex appeal.

I now know the difference between a guy who calls me hot, and guy who calls me beautiful. Trying to look like the other girls is only worse in the end. I don't need to become something else to get attention. That's the wrong kind to get.

I no longer find skimpy clothes attractive. It's no longer an appealing thought to have guys fawn over me for my looks. I don't want to show my whole body to everyone. I don't want guys eyes on my breasts or on my butt.

I'm ashamed that girls who blatantly screamed for attention like this, used to be my roll model.

I don't want that anymore.

I don't want to be a possession.

And parents? You made me this way.

I love you for it,
Bethany

No comments:

Post a Comment